1. To perform ghusl (ritual bath). (As-Saheeh of Imam Al-Bukhari, Vol. 1, pg. 12, Chapter: Virtue of Performing a Ritual Bath on Friday)
2. To wear nice and clean clothes.
3. To proceed early to the mosque.
4. To walk to the mosque (if possible). (As-Sunan of Imam Ibn Majah, Vol. 1, pg. 56, Chapter: Walking to the Mosque)
5. To sit as close as possible to the Imam.
6. If the rows are already filled, one should not jump over the shoulders of others in order to get to the front.
7. One should not do any futile action eg: one should not fiddle with one’s clothes or fingers. (As-Sunan of Imam Ibn Majah, Vol. 1, pg. 78, Chapter: Regarding that which has Been Narrated Regarding Listening to the Sermon Attentively and Remaining Silent for it.)
8. To listen to the Khutbah attentively.
9. The person who recites Surah Al-Kahf on Friday will be bestowed with a noor (Spiritual light) from under the ‘arsh (The Throne of Allah Ta’ala) which will extend from the earth till the sky and will benefit him in the darkness of the Day of Judgment. All his (minor) sins which he had committed from the previous Jumu’ah up to this Jumu’ah will be forgiven.
10. Rasulullah (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wa Sallam) is reported to have said, “Recite salutations upon me in abundance on the day of Jumu’ah since they are presented to me.”
11. On the day of Jumu’ah it is Sunnah to apply oil to the hair and to use it or any other sweet smelling fragrance. (As-Saheeh of Imam Al-Bukhari, Vol. 1, pg. 121, Chapter: Using Hair/Body Oil for Friday)
- Beautiful Sunnats of Our Beloved Nabi (Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wa Sallam)
By Shaykh-ul-‘Arab Wa al-‘Ajam, ‘Arif Billah, Hazrat Mawlana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahib (DB)