Sunnats on Entering and Exiting the Toilet
Sunnats And Dua’s Upon Entering And Exiting The Toilet
1. For the purpose of istinjaa’, take along water and toilet paper. To use an odd number of toilet paper mustahab (preferable). The Ulama have advised that toilet paper should be used so that the toilet is not clogged.
2. It was the practice of Rasulullah to relieve himself with his head covered and with his shoes on.
(Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
Translation: O Allah! I seek your protection from the male and female Jinns.
Note: Mullah Ali Qari (RA) has written in Mirqaat that with the blessings of the recitation of this dua, a veil is put up between the person visiting the toilet and the evil Jinns. This way they are unable to see one’s private parts. He has also written that the () of the word can be read with either a dhamma or a sukoon (jazm).
4. When entering the toilet, enter with the left foot.
5. When removing the undergarment, it is better to lower oneself towards the ground or the toilet seat as much as easily possible and thereafter remove the garment.
6. When coming out from the toilet, step out with the right foot first and then recite this dua:
Translation: O Allah! I seek forgiveness from you. All praise is due to Allah who removed from me that which was harmful and granted me safety.
Source: Beautiful Sunnats of the Beloved Nabi
Author: Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammad Akhtar Sahab (DB)